How Does Legal Negligence Arbitration Work?
Below are the typical steps in the legal fee arbitration process.
- Complete and submit the following to the Kentucky Bar Association
- Reviewed by the Executive Director of the Kentucky Bar Association
- If the petition is not accepted, you will be informed of the decision, and process is complete
- If the petition is accepted, it will be sent to the other party to determine if they will agree to participate
- The other party has 20 days to agree to participate in binding arbitration
- if the other party does not agree, you will be informed, and the process is complete
- if the other party agrees, the Kentucky Bar Association appoints an Arbitration Panel
- Makeup of the Arbitration Panel
- Disputes between $1,500 & $10,000 -- one licensed attorney
- Disputes $10,000 & $50,000 -- three practicing attorneys
- The Panel holds a hearing during which both parties may provide testimony and witnesses
- An award is rendered within 30 days, and is enforceable under KRS 417.180
How Much Does it Cost?
No charge or fee is required of any party requesting or making use of the fee arbitration services provided by the Bar Association. The members of the Panel are not compensated for their time.
Contact the Office of Bar Counsel Consumer Assistance Program
502.564.3795 ext. 297