- Review all of the complaint instructions included on the complaint form.
- Make it clear what you think the lawyer did or did not do which you believe is unethical.
- Explain the action the lawyer took which you think constitutes a violation of the rules. You are not required to list specific rule numbers.
- Attach only the documentation you believe to be relevant to the ethical rule violation. It is not necessary to attach the entire case file. Attaching irrelevant documents will only slow the process.
- Do not send original documents with your complaint. The documents will not be returned.
- Complaints are confidential.
- File a separate complaint for each attorney you believe has violated the rules.
- Do not reference other complaints you have filed, or the complaint will be returned to you.
- KBA staff cannot suggest what to do in your court case, or give you legal advice of any kind.
- KBA staff cannot tell you what is or is not a violation of ethical rules, or whether you should file a complaint.