This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.
Contact Us   |   Print Page   |   Sign In
Community Search
Unauthorized Practice of Law

Practicing Law Without a License

Any Person who engages in the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky without a license issued by the Supreme Court of Kentucky to do so may be subject to an injunction or a finding of contempt by the Supreme Court. Under SCR 3.460 the Kentucky Bar Association is authorized to initiate an investigation into any report of unauthorized practice of law. The unauthorized practice of law is also a misdemeanor criminal offense in violation of KRS 524.130, and can be the subject of a criminal complaint issued by the county attorney of the county where it occurs.



If you think a person or entity not having the right to practice law is directly or indirectly practicing law, you are encouraged to report it to the Kentucky Bar Association for an investigation.  Even if your complaint does not result in any action taken, it is still important the matter is reported.  The KBA depends on the public to report any unauthorized practice of law to prevent violations from continuing and possibly causing harm to the public.


Filing a Complaint

Click here for the Unauthorized Practice of Law Complaint Form. You may also call our office at 502.564.3795 ext. 723 to request the form be mailed to you.


Unauthorized Practice Opinions

The Kentucky Bar Association Office of Bar Counsel has worked to make sure this set of unauthorized practice of law opinions is the most complete, accurate and reliable set available to the members of the bar or general public. As new opinions are issued they will be added to this online listing. 

Advisory Opinion Request Form – Attorneys only to complete

Pursuant to SCR 3.530(6), attorneys and local bar associations may request advisory opinions if they are “in doubt as to the propriety of any course of conduct or act of any person or entity which may constitute the unauthorized practice of law.” This is not a UPL complaint, but it is an advisory opinion in response to a specific question. You may submit the Advisory Opinion Request Form here, and you may call the Office of Bar Counsel at 502-564-3795 ext. 268 if you have any questions. Also see SCR 3.530(9) regarding formal opinions, such as those listed above.

Privacy Policy

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal